Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Greater Love Has No One....

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends" John 15:13

Friendship is something that we all long for. I remember being in the second grade, and having a "best friend"...She and I did everything together...from starting the "left-handed club"(we both were right handed, by the way) to wearing matching clothes...We thought that's what friends did. Enjoy each others company, be "together" all the time, have clubs, pass notes, giggle-ALL the time...and that's pretty much it. We stayed friends until she moved away in the 5th grade...and promised to write each other every day...and never stop "being friends"...Well, you know where this is going...We wrote each other a few times...we grew up, and grew apart...and well, to be honest...I haven't heard from her since the 6th grade....That was just an elementary school friendship though....that is expected...(not that some friendships can't last forever-just my experience :)

I have two kids in middle school, and I remember those years well...Drama...the best word I can think of...and I will leave it at that...Just so my kids won't think I am using them as examples... ;)

Well, in high school, we have people we do things with, every day...hang out with, go to the football games with, share all our secret "crushes" with....spend 4 years with these people...the "best time of your life" as some say...Gaining independance, growing up, maturing, and learning things that you are life changing. Falling in love. Breaking up. Deciding on colleges, room mates, careers, sports...So many things....to share with our friends. I keep in touch with some of my friends from high school...but that's about it. I ended up marrying my Best friend =) So that friendship definitely was one that was forever...heehee...

As an adult, I have had a number of friends...I think that these friendships were needed ones. Not that all of the other ones weren't, but these are different. I know it's because I have grown up, and I see things differently...I even remember going through a phase thinking I didn't need friends...because then I wouldn't have to deal with the "stuff" that goes along with having them. I was so busy, that self was priority, career, small children, my family....not thinking about God's desire for my life.....

But the "stuff" is what God is using. It's what he's about. I had friends that we would spend every day at the pool when our kids were small...It was a way to get our kids together, plus get some "sun time". Friends that called and just talked to me, when I was lying on the couch throwing up my guts during pregnancy. They understood, because they were going through the same thing. Friends that would stay all night at our house watching horror movies....fun was what we had, lots of it....Friends that worked with me, and understood my deep desire to get out of nursing-10 years ago-but would motivate me to remain positive while God was showing me what I should do. Friends that would go on vacation with us-even though we had 3 small kids, and would load up the entire house to take to the beach. Friends that I never really "did anything" with, but our children go to the same school...and we would talk on the front porch during pick up. Friends that would feed our animals while we were out of town....I could keep going...because this is something I have thought a lot about lately.... Friendship. We need it. Especially Christian friends. I have realized that unlike we thought in elementary school...you don't have to have a select "club", or matching clothes...as an adult, you don't have to be together every day, or even talk often.
Sometimes when we are going through something...that is too much to bear. Something that we don't feel that we can share with others. For whatever the reason. True friends will be there. God put us here on this Earth for others. To love them. To share His word with them. Why I get down sometimes...I don't know. I wish I could get past that. But when I am down, and a friend does something for me that words can not express....All I know to do is to Thank Him. God put these special people in my life and I am so glad He did. This week I have seen God's love through a number of friends. You guys are amazing. I know God let's us go through storms to make us stronger. But I am so glad he put my friends here to help me make it through. And Above all~He is the Best friend I have....Love you Lord =)
When the waves are taking you under
Hold on just a little bit longer
He knows that this is gonna make you stronger, stronger
The pain ain't gonna last forever
And things can only get better
Believe me
This is gonna make you stronger
Gonna make you stronger, stronger, stronger
Believe me, this is gonna make you Stronger

Try and do the best you can

No comments:

Post a Comment