Friday, August 19, 2011

Remember When

17 years.

Wow.

I guess that shows how old I am. James and I were married 17 years ago tomorrow. I could write this big long romantic post...but most people that know us, know our "story"...We met in Spanish class at Central High School. I didn't like him. He was annoying...Things haven't changed in the annoying department. ;) But we grew to be good friends. Nothing more. He would call me, and tell me who he "liked" and do a practice run on asking her out....I would pretend to be "her"...and tell him how he sounded...ect. LOL...I was brutally honest too. But I dated other guys. He dated other girls. But our friendship was always there. He would give me advice. I would listen. I decided to look up the word friendship in Websters(this one is for you Kristie) and it said" the mutual feelings of trust and affection and the behavior that typify relationships between friends". We had that. But it didn't take long before it became more....We were best friends for about 2 years, and then our relationship went to another level. Our families went to the beach at the same time....and that is where James told me he loved me. I wasn't ready for that. But I was ready to try it. I mean, how can you go wrong by dating your best friend in the world? I was afraid. Afraid that if it didn't work out, I would lose that friendship. But even then, 17 years ago, I knew that God had brought James into my life. =) And for that I am SO thankful.

We have come so far. From our little one room apartment in Johnson City...to being the parents of 3 beautiful children....our blessings far outweigh our trials. And trials are definitely a part of our life right now. Losing a family member suddenly, who was too young to die. (in our worldly thought process) finances falling apart around us, transmission goes out in our van, having a brain aneurysm, 8 days in ICU, more bills coming, in search of full-time job with no luck, the list goes on and on....But, all of that makes my blessings all the more. I have a wonderful husband, who loves me NO matter the trials we have. Three amazing children, who understand that things are rough right now, but love us anyway. Ian even offered us all of his birthday money to help us out~said we needed it more than he did. God is Good. All the time. We say that all the time, but it's true. He is right here with us in the middle of this mess. He is going to get us through it. I am holding on to that. Believing it.

In the midst of all the stuff going on in our lives, I am coming up on August 20 tomorrow. The day that I married my best friend. The day that my life changed forever. The happiest day of my life. Everything may not be perfect. But when I look into James eyes, no matter what is going on. I know that we will be ok. He has been my rock during all of this. When I couldn't walk, he helped me. He took care of me while I was sick. He didn't leave my side. I write this, and can't help but wipe the tears as they flow down my cheeks. I feel guilty because my sister has lost the love of her life. I wish I could take that all away. I don't understand it. It just isn't fair. But knowing the love that she had, and talking with her every day about it. She would say Love your husband. Tell him every day. Don't take what you have for granted. We don't know what the next day holds let alone the next hour.

So, today, I want to say...

James, I love you more than you will ever know. When you walked into my life 17 years ago, I never knew how blessed I would be to have you. God had a plan for us. I am so glad that he chose you for me. That plan is still in progress. We are called to do God's work. You and I both know that. I am so excited to see this next phase of our lives roll out in front of us. We are closer to God than we ever have been. Knowing that, I am so exited about where He is leading us. You started as my best friend, and you still are my best friend. But now you are the absolute LOVE of my life. I love everything about you. (even if sometimes it doesn't seem that way) You are my rock. Thank you for making the last 17 years, the best ones of my life. Thank you for being the best daddy in the world. For loving our kids above any thing else. For loving me unconditionally. God has been good to us. and for that I am thankful. We don't realize the blessings that we have been given. Sometimes life is hard, but with each other, we can do anything. As long as we always put God first. You are a blessing to me. and today I want to tell you that. I love you James Allen. Now and Forever....

Happy Anniversary! Here's our favorite song....Remember When....<3


Remember when I was young and so were you
And time stood still and love was all we knew
You were the first, so was I
We made love and then you cried
Remember when

Remember when we vowed the vows and walked the walk
Gave our hearts, made the start and it was hard
We lived and learned, life threw curves
There was joy, there was hurt
Remember when

Remember when old ones died and new were born
And life was changed, disassembled, rearranged
We came together, fell apart
And broke each other's hearts
Remember when

Remember when the sound of little feet was the music
We danced to week to week
Brought back the love, we found trust
Vowed we'd never give it up
Remember when

Remember when thirty seemed so old
Now lookin' back, it's just a steppin' stone
To where we are, where we've been
Said we'd do it all again
Remember when

Remember when we said when we turned gray
When the children grow up and move away
We won't be sad, we'll be glad
For all the life we've had
And we'll remember when

I love you James!

No comments:

Post a Comment