Friday, July 15, 2011

I want to Dig Ditches

Jesus Calling~July 15
Do not worry about tomorrow! This is not a suggestion, but a command. I divided time into days and nights, so that you would have manageable portions of life to handle. My grace is sufficient for you, but its sufficiency is for only one day at a time. When you worry about the future, you heap day upon day of troubles onto your flimsy frame. You stagger under this heavy load, which I never intended you to carry. Throw off this oppressive burden with one quick thrust of trust. Anxious thoughts meander about and crisscross in your brain, but trusting Me bring you directly into My Presence. As you thus affirm your faith, shackles of worry fall off instantly. Enjoy My Presence continually by trusting Me at all times.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Trust in him at all times, you people;
   pour out your hearts to him,
   for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:8

I sometimes post these little devotions on Facebook...For those of you who don't know, this is from a book title Jesus Calling. It has been a beautiful way to start my mornings, since January. I sometimes, can't believe how "much they fit" my life. Unbelievable. Today is no exception.

Worry is one of those things that I have had problems with for years. James and I have had numerous "things" that we have been worried about lately. Considering all that has went on in the lives of our family...I guess, from a human perspective, it seems acceptable...James mom is in a nursing home for rehab from a fall/broken leg, my sister lost her precious husband, my van's transmission is gone, our finances are tight (for lack of a better word), looking for a full time job...the list goes on and on, but I don't want to sound like a pity party..... So, all of these things add to the normal things I worry about, like my kids, ect....Not a happy momma...lol....

So, opened my devotion this am (the one I posted) and guess what it's about? Worry. Seriously. God DOES work this way...I know it. I have seen it one two many times in the past few weeks. I know that He is in control. Sometimes the trials that we face, they are here to make us stronger. That makes sense, but definitely doesn't make it any easier. But if we can change our mindsets, to realize that He has his arms around us. He won't ever leave our side. I am going to make a conscious effort to remember this. I've applied for a job~I'm going to give it to him...knowing He will provide. We need a transmission for our van~Handing this one over to Him as well~His ways are not our ways...in His time...Worrying about my sister in her time of loss~Knowing He is the Peace that passes all understanding~and He will comfort her mourning heart. I also want to have a thankful heart. I know that He will do these things, and I also want to thank Him for it. Thankfulness in the valleys of life.

I heard Pastor Steven Furtick say yesterday about being in the valley....In this passage of Scripture, we see a couple of kings stranded in the wilderness and they are out of water. They realized that they desperately needed water, but only God had the means to supply it. They call for Elisha to come give them a message from God.

Elisha shows up and gives them simple and straight forward advice: Make the valley full of ditches. He told them to prepare their dwelling place to catch the water before the first drop ever fell from the sky.  2 Kings 3: 16-18 -
Thus says the LORD: ‘Make this valley full of ditches.’ For thus says the LORD: ‘You shall not see wind, nor shall you see rain; yet that valley shall be filled with water, so that you, your cattle, and your animals may drink.’ And this is a simple matter in the sight of the LORD…”

Love that...and the outcome is even better...

The people were facing a battle, but they didn’t have any water to drink. Elisha told them to go into the valley, and to make it full of ditches, in preparation for what God would do. The Bible says in verse 20 that “suddenly water came by the way of Edom, and the land was filled with water.”

I don't want to worry. I want to dig ditches...in preparation for what He is going to do. <3

Happy Friday...<3
 

No comments:

Post a Comment